The Georgia Symphony Orchestra & GSO Music Works
- Students perform better academically in a broad range of measurements including IQ, working memory, creativity, grades, graduation rates and SAT scores.
- Veterans with serious wounds and/or PTSD demonstrate reduced stress, improved communication, better and faster cognitive rehabilitation, fewer social and emotional problems and enhanced recovery of coordination and physical skills.
- Seniors experience alleviation of symptoms of depression, improvement and recovery of memory, increased cognitive processing speed and better overall mental and physical health.
Doug Hooker and the Atlanta Regional Commission
- The sheer magnitude of the area's growth - from less than 2 million in 1986 to 6 million today to 9 million by 2050
- Why 70-75% of the area's college graduates opt to stay[...]
Marjy Stagmeier & Star-C
- Transiency and its devastating impact
- How Star-C has become a national role model for successful management of affordable housing (Better quality of life AND more profitable!)
- Star-C's organization strategy & how it works
- Landlord as[...]
Taylor Rambo & the Georgia Symphony Orchestra
- Why the Executive Director job is perfect fit
- Strengths of the organization that Taylor will levergae
- The communities served by the GSO now and in the future
Cheryl Kortemeier and The Corporate Volunteer Council of Atlanta
- Why "Deliver business results" is fundamental to the CVC's mission
- CSR = Employee Skill Developemnt
- Why aren't all employers formally and more fully embracing volunteerism and civic engagement?
- What's a "Community Facing Professional" and why is this role vital?
- COVID 19's silver lining. (Yes, there IS a silver lining!!!)
Thank you, Cheryl Kortemeier, for your service to our community!
Laurie Wong & Reflections of Trinity
"I've got you!"
If there's one phrase that captures Laurie Wong's vision for Reflections of Trinity, it's, "I've got you!" As Founder and CEO of this 18 year old organization, that's the phrase she works hard to ensure a family in crisis hears from her team.Tune in to hear this inspiring story of how this remarkable organization serves its community, including:
- How when COVID hit their food pantry went from serving 500 families per week up to 1,200
- How the Reflections of Trinity eBay store extended their Powder Springs based thrift store to enable this amazing leap in service
- Guess who was the 2016 eBay Small[...]
Andy Gaines & The Strand Theatre
- The history of The Strand
- Is it an arts venue? An economic driver? Both?
- The power of collaboration with businesses AND nonprofits
- Don't just think about the Strand. Think "Marietta Arts District"
- The Strand's creative response to the pandemic
Thank you, Andy Gaines, for your service to our community!
...and thank you[...]
Debbie McKinley, Veterans & Home Depot
- Her own transition from the Marine Corps to civilian life
- TAPS - The Transition Assistance Program - Is it enough??? Sadly... not in all cases
- How we all can help veterans build their own communities
- How business can help veterans (They make great employees and a good job is critical!)
- Debbie's story about assuming board leadership (Never miss a board meeting!)
- What's coming[...]
Malaika Rivers, CIDs & Lexicon Strategies
- Why various businesses will link up to voluntarily raise their own taxes!
- CIDs obviously work - there are now 34 of them in Metro ATL
- The power of the public/private partnership
- Yes, there's loads of value to the host government too
- $1 invested in a CID, on average, returns $5 (...speaking of good deals...)
- How CIDs can "Future-Proof"
Kim Ellet, The Growth Coach of Metro Atlanta
- Her experience with Leadership Cobb and her own class, "The Change Makers"
- Her work with Basic Diversity and Cultural Mastery
- How to expand your perspective and make changes
- How clarity about your values helps define the work that "lights you up!"
- Is Community Service good for business?
Thank you, Kim Ellet, for your service to[...]
Irene Barton, Executive Director of the Cobb Collaborative
- Irene's focus on ensuring that "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts"
- The importance of making data-driven decisions
- How the Cobb Collaborative addresses underlying issues, not just the obivous
- The challenges of coordinating the deployment of resource to achieve optimal efficiency and effectiveness
- The "Two Generation" program at Kennesaw State that addresses the unique challenges[...]
Tony Kimbrough, CEO of Veterans Empowerment Organization
- The tragedy of homeless veterans - especially right here in metro Atlanta
- VEO's holistic approach to setting veterans on the road to self-sustenance
- The dual challenge of vets from active duty and reservists
- The scourge of PTSD
- We invest heavily to train our warriors to "react normally to abnormal situations," but invest next to nothing to help them return to actual normal life
- What it's like to go from war zone to everyday job in two weeks[...]
Nigel Zelcer of Jabian Consulting
- Unlike most management consultants, those at Jabian are home every night!
- The continual focus on "Making People Famous"
- 60% of Jabian employees are in leadership positions with local nonprofits and literally 100% are involved
- How the Jabian corporate culture "spills" into their clients and other stakeholders
- Think Work/Life Integration vs. Work/Life Balance
- Jabian Cares - an internal non-profit delivered $630K of pro bono services, matched $27K of[...]
Michael Barrett & The Southeast Association of Facilitators
- What is "Facilitation" and how can it provide value to nonprofits?
- Why time - and not wasting it - is so vital for your volunteers
- A better way to increase and enhance the engagement of your board members
- Metrics for performance monitoring and improvement
- Passion - the necessary, but not sufficient ingredient
- The Impact Chain and why it's important
Betsy Armentrout & Georgia Voting Works
- Every vote counts and every voter deserves to be counted
- Employers can play a pivotal role in engaging their employees in Georgia's elections
- Peer-company sharing of ideas and best practices is powerful
- Employees want to engage and are open to options
- How the messy June primary provided inspiration
- Recruiting people and corporations to actively particiapte
- The ideas - and the work to implement them - all came from the participants (...including a[...]
Chris Hooper & Conscious Capitalism
- How a self-describe "marketing guy" get fascinated by companies that succeed without doing[...]
Karen Hunter of Whetstone Strategies
- Board service is an excellent vehicle for meeting like-minded people
- How to identify & define your Big 3 - Your Personal Brand, Your Passion, Your Skills & Abilities
- "Positive and humble service to others"
- A nonprofit board is a working[...]
Sharon Mason of the Cobb Chamber of Commerce
- The role of the Cobb Chamber in the communiuty
- The "Select Cobb" program which has played a key role in attracting 34,000 jobs and $3.1 Billion in investment in the county
- How the chamber effectively administered $50 Billion in CARES Act aid
- The impact of the Economic Recovery Task Force
- The extensive Community Service involvement of Chamber employees
Thank you Sharon Mason, for your[...]
Karen Beavor of the Georgia Center for Nonprofits
- Management, Leadership & Governance of nonprofits
- Questions an Executive Director should be asking
- The role of the nonprofit board
- The "Big 3" for nonprofit success: Strategy, Leadership and $$$
- Think revenue, not just fundraising!
- What's next for the nonprofit world
Thank you, Karen Beavor, for your service to our community!
liveSAFE Resources & Tracey Atwater
- How depressingly pervasive these ugly issues really are
- The journey from victim to thriving survivor
- 1 in 2 women and 1 in 4 men are victims of physical and/or emotional violence
- 80% of these victims are below the poverty line
- How to be aware of when a relative, friend or colleague might be a victim
- The many programs provided by liveSAFE
Thank you, Tracey Atwater for[...]
Kim Cooper & Children Helping Children
- How it's the kids - not the parents - making decisions about who to serve and how
- The soon-to-be-mobile Compassion Curriculum
- What's your light? How will you share it?
- The Light & Love Loft at the King Plow Arts Center
- The CHC "Junior Board" and how it provides valuable life-lessons
- How to become a Village Volunteer
Thank you, Kim Cooper, for your service to our community!
Jillian Youngblood & Common Ground Solutions
Barry Coates of SCORE
- How the SCORE mentoring process works
- It's mentoring, not consulting!
- The amazingly broad range of skills, knowledge and insight available from SCORE
- Barry's personal business journey and how it relates to SCORE
- A really cool success story!
- Other tools and resources available
- Getting started
Stuart Winborne of the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
- The over 43,000 Americans who take their own lives annually
- The impact of COVID-19
- Suicide Warning Signs & what to watch out for:
- The work of AFSP: Education, Public Policy, Funding Research, Support for Survivors
- Trust your gut and say something!!! Don't wait for someone else to intervene.
- Project 2025
- Sign up for and[...]
Seth Hopkins & The Booth Western Art Museum
- Yes, Cartersville!
- The focus on student and adult education
- The focus on living artists (which adds a decidedly non-traditional spin to Western Art)
- Andy Warhol in a Western Art Museum???
- 80% of the collection is Western, but don't miss out on the Civil War and Presidential galleries!
- Sagebrush Ranch - Don't tell the kids it's more about the learning than the fun!
- The extensive "Virtual Booth Museum"
Holly Quinlan & Cobb County – “Atlanta’s Sweet Spot”
- Holly and her team's role as catalysts and connectors
- The critical role of Community Improvement Districts
- How success with the Cobb Sports Alliance led to more success with Cobb Arts Vibe
- Pandemic? How about Hello, Again? (See video below...)
- Place-making (Very cool concept!)
- Cobb is "Camera Ready" for the film industry!
Thank you, Holly Quinlan,[...]
Kim Gresh of S. A. White
- A lifelong, deep immersion in one's own community
- Before you ask for money, you need to being giving money yourself!
- Balancing time invested in business and community
- Kim's fascinating view of why The Arts are so vital ("All the lights came on in my brain!")
- The "Community Service Ecosystem"
- Corporate Social Responsibility
Randy Yeomans – Your Retirement Coach
- The "Venn Diagram" of retirement planning
- How Yeomans supports the Community Service of all of its employees
- MUST Ministries (Randy's passion)
- Money, Time & Voice
- "Bunch Giving" - If you hear nothing else, HEAR THIS!!!
- Guiding $100 Million of client portfolios into worthy causes
Ellen McCarty of McCarty & Co.
- Morphing from the corporate world to the nonprofit world
- Key differences of the board member role in a large vs. small nonprofit
- Board Recruitment hints and tips (Great stuff here!!!)
- The 3 Ts - Time, Treasure, Talent
- The growing significance of Corporate Social Responsibility
- Know your strategic plan!
- Celebrate Successes
Thank you, Ellen McCarty, for your service to our community!
Susan Norris of Rescuing Hope
- The average age of a sex trafficking victim is 12-14 years
- Buy the book! Rescuing Hope: A Story of Sex Trafficking in America
United Cerebral Palsy Association of Greater Indiana
- Lifelong dedication shown by Lee's 30 years on the board and Mike's 15+ years
- The perception of "can't do" and why it's just wrong
- Cerebral palsy affects muscle control, so Mike gets a black belt? Seriously?
- Key challenges they face and what they're doing about it
Shari Martin & The Cobb Community Foundation
- What exactly is a community foundation?
- How CCF functions as a "community catalyst
- How and why CCF is different
- The unique power of Cobb Community Connection (You owe it to yourself to check this out!)
- Food Fleet - A shining example of coordinating all manner of resources to address COVID-related issues
- And - believe it or not with all CCF has on its plate - Shari's[...]
Randy Thompson – “Cheerful Giver”
- How "getting run out of town" was the best thing that ever happened to him
- There's nothing difficult or complicated about combining business and philanthropy
- His transformation from "Obligatory Giver" to "Cheerful Giver"
- Why "Give your first dollar" is important
Thank you, Randy Thompson, for your service to our community!
Dikembe Mutombo – Global Community Servant
- How the aspiring physician chose a different path, but[...]
Craig Lesser – Community Service and Economic Development
- Community Service is the first step toward overall Economic Devleopment
- Who must set the basic priorities?
- "Silos" are the enemy!
- The danger of being too internally focused
- The 4 Legged Stool: Government, Business, Education, Culture
Thank you, Craig Lesser, for your service to our community!
Sam Olens, Former GA Attorney General
- The importance of involvement with Community Service starting in childhood
- The "Bike Story" - Combining value from place of worship and fire-fighters to get bikes to kids
- The trend of businesses encouraging employees to donate their time
- How Community Service time can also be Family Time
- Why focusing on local issues is the most effective form of Community Service
Thank you, Sam Olens, for your service to our community!
Charlie Yates & A Lifetime of Service
- The importance of establishing roots in your community
- Why business-people need to get way beyond "mercenary" goals for community service
- A fascinating backstory about real estate development for the '96 Atlanta Olympics
- The need for a long term perspective
- Some great advice for young people
Thank you, Charlie Yates, for your service to our community!
David Bottoms and the WellStar Foundation
- Disparities in availability of health care services across the state
- The unique challenges presented by the COVID pandemic
- Dealing with the large amount of "unreimbursed care" delivered by the WellStar[...]
Ashish Thakur & Atlanta CEO Council
- The high Return On Investment of "mentoring relationships"
- The value of job creation to the community
- digitalundivided - a social startup that merges data and heart to develop innovative programs and initiatives that catalyzes economic growth in Black and Latinx communities
- How a "C-Level" executive can catalyze Community Service
- Thoughts on measuring impact
Jeremy Cole & UNICEF
- How his background led him to his life's work
- UNICEF vaccinates 45% of world's children, and that's just scratching the surface
- 6% of U.S. giving goes to international causes
- An example of what the Global Innovations Team does - from plastic trash - to bricks - to schools!
Thank you, Jeremy Cole, for your service to our community!
Marilynn Martinez & PRISM of Georgia
- The importance of celebrating success
- How families can support a loved one with a disability
- The challenge of funding
- The challenge of recruiting staff - It's everything!
- Collaborating with business to fill jobs
Thank you, Marilynn Martinez, for your service to our community!
Jim Rhoden – “Pay your civic rent!”
- Pay your civic rent!
- Business and community service are inextricably intertwined
- "Give everybody that asks you for something, something!"
- Small, steady, quiet, relentless community service over a long span of years has a huge impact
Thank you, Jim Rhoden, for your service to our community!
Bill Bolling & Food Well Alliance
- Sharing a meal as a means to community building
- Community Service - like any business - requires[...]
Dave Ward & The Tommy Nobis Center
- The legacy of "Mr. Falcon," Tommy Nobis
- Partnerships and service across 24 states
- The Big 3: Education - Training - Employment
- A few stirring individual examples
- New initiative for the future
Lisa Mello & The Wellstar Foundation
- Enabling the building of a chapel and adding a full-time chaplain to the staff of one of their hospitals
- The unique challenges presented the pandemic
- The sheer magnitude of managing the demands and getting the right resources to the right place at the right time
- The truly gratifying outpouring of support for the hospital system
- How to lend your hand to the Wellstar Foundation
Rich Cavagnaro & “B2B Community Service”
Aarti Sagahl, Founder of Synergies Work
- "Raise the bar of expectations"
- Several stories of the folks Aarti started on the road to entrepreneurship
- The breakthrough moment
- On becoming a Business Incubator
Bob Bonstein & the Georgia Symphony Orchestra
- The performances of classical masterpieces (of course...)
- GYSO - the Georgia Youth Symphony Orchestra - the largest of its kind in the Southeast and among the top 10 in the coutry
- The annual "Sensory Friendly" concert specifically designed for autistic children. (...tough to not get choked up a bit about this amazing performance
- The surprising[...]
Rhys Wilson & The Atlanta Opera
Alli Neal, Founder of Revved Up Kids
- It's all starts with awareness
- How to start the conversation, and keep it going...
- Talk to your kids about personal safety as often as you talk to them about brushing their teeth!
- The Family Safety Community
- And the most important bit... The cost of prevention is negligible, the cost of rehabilitation is in excess of $200,000!
Chris Brand of FODAC
Giles Barton & Revved Up Kids
As a parent, what value does that have? How much would you be willing to pay for it?We were fortunate enough to catch up with Giles Barton this week, to talk about Revved Up Kids and his role on their board. Giles is a dedicated, contributing board member, who also has a day job as CEO of Expeditor Systems. He has lots of interesting thoughts to share in addition to that very[...]
Gregory Harris of The High Museum
Introducing Willful Impact
Simply stated, our goal is to generate a dramatically higher level of voluntary community service.I trust you will agree that I’m not using the words “genuinely inspiring” lightly. Our world is already over-loaded with hype, and exaggerated claims. None of us wants or needs or maybe can even stand for any more of that. Our plan is to tell stories. Stories about individuals and organizations who generously set out to make the world a better place. Many times the story is short - as straightforward as providing financial support. Obviously, cash donations are critical. Without them, virtually all community[...]