Rhys Wilson & The Atlanta Opera
The Atlanta Opera’s mission is to build the major international opera company Atlanta deserves, with a vision to reimagine opera.
Founded in 1979, The Atlanta Opera celebrates its 40th anniversary in the 2019-20 season. The Opera works with world-renowned singers, conductors, directors, and designers who seek to enhance the art form.
Under the leadership of internationally recognized stage director and Carl W. Knobloch, Jr. General & Artistic Director Tomer Zvulun, The Atlanta Opera expanded from three to four mainstage productions at Cobb Energy Centre and launched the acclaimed Discoveries series. In recent years, the company was recognized by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution as part of its “Best of 2015” awards; it was nominated for an International Opera Award in 2016; and it won ArtsATL’s 2019 Luminary Award for Community Engagement, recognizing its successful Veterans Program in partnership with The Home Depot Foundation.
We were joined by Mr. Rhys Wilson, Board Chair of The Atlanta Opera & discussed, among other things:
- What is opera?
- The “Discovery Series” & the Opera’s extensive set of educational offerings
- How to “get ready” for an opera performance
- What it’s like to be one of the leaders an opera company
- The vision for and challenges of the future
- How the costume makers switched to mask and surgical gown production – WOW!